University of California, Riverside

International Students and Scholars Office

Export Control Requirements

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires that employers, including all University of California campuses and locations, certify that they have reviewed the U.S. export control regulations and have determined whether a license is required to release controlled technology or technical data to applicable non-immigrant workers.  This certification requirement does not appear on Form I-129, which is used for the petition of H-1B, L-1 and O-1A visas.

To ensure that UCR is in compliance with this requirement, the following questionnaire must be completed by the sponsoring Principal Investigator (PI) or supervisor and returned to the International Scholar Center in in Surge Building (0381A) before the visa petition can be filed.  If the PI or supervisor is unable to complete the questionnaire or requires additional information about the export control requirements in order to complete it accurately, he or she should refer to the Office of Research Export Control website.  Departments should allot sufficient time to ensure that these questions can be answered (and that any necessary consultation with the local campus export control administrator can be conducted) in advance of the date on which the I-129 petition is to be submitted. 

For additional information or assistance with questions, you may also contract the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research, Charles Greer at (951) 827-3093 or

Quick Links


Office Hours

Regular office hours: Monday through Thursday: 08:00 AM - 12:00 PM & 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Open advising hours:
Monday - Friday
10:00am - 12:00pm and 1:00 - 4:00pm

*Appointments are also available.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

International Students and Scholars Office
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113
Fax: (951) 827-3248