University of California, Riverside

International Students and Scholars Office



Maximum length of stay is up to six years. Departments can request extension of employment for a current H-1B employee if the employee has not used the full six years of eligible H-1B status. One-year extensions beyond the six-year maximum can be obtained under certain circumstances. Contact the International Scholar Center (ISC) for more information.

Essentially the H-1B process is repeated and another prevailing wage determination and certified LCA are needed.  ISC  submits Form I-129 with a request to extend H-1B stay, certified LCA, departmental support letter, and the beneficiary's supporting documentation to USCIS California Service Center for adjudication.

When the H-1B approval notice (Form I-797A) is received, the International Scholar Center will notify the department and inform the scholar for pickup

For payroll purposes, if the employer has timely filed an H-1B petition with a request for extension of stay, the employee may continue employment at UCR for a period not to exceed 240 days beyond the expiration of the prior period of authorized stay. Work authorization must be re-verified.


The department must inform the International Scholar Center of any anticipated change in an H-1B employee’s duties, job title, number of hours worked per week, and/or work location. ISC will review the change to determine whether an amendment is needed to the H-1B petition.

Quick Links


Office Hours

Regular office hours: Monday through Thursday: 08:00 AM - 12:00 PM & 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Open advising hours:
Monday - Friday
10:00am - 12:00pm and 1:00 - 4:00pm

*Appointments are also available.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

International Students and Scholars Office
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113
Fax: (951) 827-3248