University of California, Riverside

International Students and Scholars Office

Financial Requirements

The cost of living in Riverside, CA area is high, especially for housing. Rents for a single bedroom apartment currently range from $950 to $1,200 a month. Exchange visitors will also need to budget for their other living and incidental expenses for themselves as well as any dependent(s) who accompany them. International Students and Scholars office estimates that an exchange visitor will need a minimum of $1,700 a month to cover their expenses while at UCR.

If the primary financial support will come from sources other than UC Riverside, the J-1 Exchange Visitor should be prepared to demonstrate he/she has the minimal in financial support:

Members count

Expenses (per month)



With Spouse


With One Child


Each additional child


The Exchange visitor will need to submit the documents, verifying the source and amount of financial support in U.S. dollar, to the ISS. The document can be in the form of an award letter from your home institution or a bank statement will be sufficient. 

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

International Students and Scholars Office
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113
Fax: (951) 827-3248