Dear Campus Community,
As you have seen from recent news coverage, the safety and security situation in Afghanistan has unraveled quickly as Allied troops withdraw and the Taliban resurgence took over the Afghan government.
It is upsetting to watch the news coverage in Afghanistan and other areas of the world that are experiencing violence and political instability. UC Riverside is an incredibly diverse global community. We understand that many of our students and staff have family and friends who are directly affected by ongoing warfare and political strife. In fact, California is home to the largest population of Afghan Americans in the United States.
While not a comprehensive list, here are a few resources for Afghan citizens seeking support:
We recognize the emotional challenges that ongoing global instability may cause our community. If you need support, UCR has resources available to help you.
There are several resources for UCR students who are looking for additional support:
- Students who want professional and confidential mental health support, may contact UCR’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 951-827-5531. CAPS offers free services to all UC Riverside students.
- Student Affairs Case Management https://casemanagement.ucr.edu/
- Middle Eastern Student Resource Center (MESC) – MESC supports students who identify as Middle Eastern or Southwest Asian North African. MESC is a space and a community of UCR students that celebrates the many peoples and cultures found throughout the Middle East. https://mesc.ucr.edu/
- R’Time for international women – an informal and supportive community group for UCR international students who identify as women. Email Jenny Shin to join the next R'Time event.The WELL https://well.ucr.edu/
- Basic Needs https://basicneeds.ucr.edu/
- International students can connect with our staff by email, email@example.com.
UCR Employees can contact the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program for confidential counseling, referrals, and other resources. International scholars can reach out to our staff on the International Scholars team.
A global education may be more important now than ever before. We are committed to fostering UCR’s global engagement. On behalf of all of us in International Affairs, we are dedicated to supporting the health, safety, well-being and success of our International Student and Scholar community.
Interim Vice Provost for International Affairs