University of California, Riverside

International Students and Scholars Office


H-1B Temporary Worker – Specialty Occupation

The H-1B visa classification requires a sponsoring U. S. employer and is employer-specific.  The H-1B is available for those seeking to enter the United States for the purpose of working in a "specialty occupation". Immigration regulations defines an H1-B occupation as a “specialty occupation” which requires the theoretical and practical application of the body of highly specialized knowledge, and the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree in the specific specialty as a minimum for entry into the occupation in the United States. H-1B status can be used to employ non-immigrants temporarily in faculty, staff, and research positions.

Eligibility Requirements

The position must require a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and the scholar must hold that degree or its equivalent in the field required for the position.

The position must be fully funded by the employing department (scholar cannot be self supporting)

Must be paid either according to Union Salary or Prevailing Wage

  • If position is within a union – Union Salary Scale is used
  • If non-union position – Department of Labor Prevailing Wage Salary is used

 H-4 Visa

Are spouses and children of H-1B Visa holders?  

The dependent spouse and/or children under the age of 21 of the H-1B visa holder may be admitted into the United States as H-4 dependents. H-4 dependents are not permitted to engage in employment.

H-1B  Cap

The H-1B visa has an annual numerical limit "cap" of 65,000 visas each fiscal year. However, H-1B workers who are petitioned for or employed at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization are not subject to this numerical cap.  UCR H-1B petitions are not subject to the cap and can apply for H-1B visas anytime.


More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

International Students and Scholars Office
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113
Fax: (951) 827-3248