University of California, Riverside

International Students and Scholars Office

J-1 Exchange Visitor

J-1 Scholar

 The J-1 Exchange Visitor visa category was created for the purpose of cultural and educational exchange. This visa category is used for exchange visitors engaged in research and/or teaching and any visiting professors/researchers coming to UCR.  This category is not appropriate for tenure track faculty. The J-1 Exchange Visitor status most frequently used visa status for international visitors at UCR and comprised of four categories - 

J-2 Dependents

Only spouses and unmarried minor children (under 21 years of age) of the J-1 exchange visitor are eligible to accompany or follow to join the exchange visitor in J-2 status.


J-2 dependents are allow to study in the United States


J-2 dependents can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS in order to be employed in the United States. The J-2 may begin employment only after receiving the EAD from USCIS. 

Requesting DS 2019 for J-2 Dependents

J-1 scholars currently at UCR who wish to add their dependents in J-2 status should login to ISC Online and complete the request for form DS 2019 for their dependents.

Restrictions to J-1 Exchange Visitors

  • If the scholar  had completed a previous J program in the U.S. as a Professor or Research Scholar, he/she is subject to a 24-months bar (gap) to start a new J-1 program as a Professor or Research Scholar
  • If the scholar had applied for an H class visa or U.S. Permanent Resident status (‘green card’) he/she is NOT eligible to apply for a DS-2019 form for J visa status.
  • If the scholar had applied for and received a Waiver of the Two Year Home Residence Requirement from the State Department or USCIS, he/she is NOT eligible, J-1 visa status or a J-1 extension.
  • If the position is tenure track, scholar is not eligible for J-1 status.

Two-Year Home Country Residence Requirement

Exchange Visitors may be subject to the two-year residence requirement as established in Section 212 (e) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act.  The visa officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will determine whether or not the scholar is subject to this requirement.

This is a condition attached to some Exchange Visitors (EVs) who get J visa status under the following circumstances:

  1. The Scholar received funds from the U.S. government, his/her own government, or an international organization funded by government;
  2. The education, training, or skills that the Scholar is pursuing in the U.S. appear on the Exchange Visitor Skills List for his/her country published by the Department of State.
  3. Foreign medical graduates receiving training in the U.S. under the sponsorship of the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

Scholar who become subject to the Two-year Home Residence Requirement are not eligible to change their visa status from J-1 to H (temporary worker), or an immigrant visa ("green card"), unless they return and reside in the country of their last permanent residence for two years after completing their program in the U.S.

Scholar who become subject, but do not wish to comply with the residence requirement may apply for a waiver from the U.S. Department of State during or after the completion of the program.

Note: Please go through the Information and guidelines. ISC will not be involved with the process of waiver application of Scholars in any form. If an Scholar’s waiver application is approved by the Department of State or USCIS, ISC will no longer issue a DS-2019 extension for a current Scholar

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

International Students and Scholars Office
0321 Surge Building

Tel: (951) 827-4113
Fax: (951) 827-3248